Thursday, November 13, 2008

Muddiest Point Week 10

I have a question about controlled vocabulary, I realize this might be a little off topic. When a term in a controlled vocabulary is changed, do the indexers use a find and replace to update the term in the indexed documents? If a new term is added, is it possible to go back through a database and add the new term to other documents it might describe without rereading every document?

Not a muddy point, but a comment on Yahoo's old style of categories that was mentioned in class. . . I can remember in late 90's I had submitted a website to Yahoo's search engine. If I remember correctly, I had to select the subjects it fell under.

1 comment:

Daqing said...

to your first question, yes, if there is any change in the controlled vocabulary, and you want the change to be reflected in the indexed documents, there are lots of effort associated with it. thereofre, controlled vocabulary do not remove or add terms very often, and usually would not index retrospectively back.