Monday, October 20, 2008

Week 9 Required Readings

All of the readings for XML left me confused. I felt like there was some simple part I was missing or was not explained. In the resources for the IBM reading on XML there was a link for a Intro to XML tutorial. I found doing this tutorial which is free, but you have to register with IBM, helped me understand just what the creation of XML was for.

A user can create specific tags with in a document to denote for example if it is a title or a postal code. This makes finding these elements of a document easier.

A tag is anything between brackets - < >
An element is a type of a tag. If you break down the tag , it could include <blue>, <red>, <green>, etc.
An attribute - is a name value pair. I can't think of a good example of this.

It enable records to be read faster by different pieces of software. It also makes the web easier to search. If you are looking for postal codes it will somehow know to only search for fields labeled postal code.

The document must follow a specific set of rules that would be set down in a DTD (document type definition).

XML is more strict than HTML. You need to make sure all of your elements are ended, in the right order, and they are case sensitive, otherwise you will get an error message.


Introduction to XML: http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/internet/web/xmlintro.htm
This gives some background on XML, but I didn't understand what they meant. I needed some physical examples. Which is why I liked the tutorial I did above, even though it too ended up over my head.

A survey of Standards: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-stand1.html
This gives a list of standards for XML that have been made over time by various authorities on the internet. I found the links in this document to be rather helpful.

Introduction to XML Schema: http://www.w3schools.com/Schema/schema_intro.asp
This is like the HTML tutorials from last week. It gives examples of what the XML documents would look like and examples of how to code them.

Extending Your Markup: An XML Tutorial
This is another explanation of the elements that make up XML.



6 comments:

JPM73 said...

Jen,

I too felt some serious confusion from time to time when doing the articles...but I was glad that there were other web-sites to help guide me and it helped make things a little clearer.

susan geiss said...

Hi Jen,
I want to thank you for your explanations under the first reading. I feel really lost this week and your descriptions were a great help.
I really need to see this done, not just read it.
Thanks again!
Susan

Monica said...

Thanks for the heads up about the IBM tutorial. It was a lot easier to understand and your comments are helpful too! Thanks!

Kristina Grube Lacroix said...

Thank you for the link to this tutorial. I also thought that this week's readings were very confusing. I am hoping that class will clear them up. I enjoyed how you utilized this week's lessons by adding the colors to yuor comments.

Elizabeth G. said...

Jen,

Thanks for the tip about the tutorial. Also, I liked your explanations about the tags. Sorry about the italics, just wanted to see if I could do it. I'm actually kind of hoping we won't need this much detail when we do the assignment.

Thanks again,

Liz

Dustin said...

Jen,

I'll take a look at the tutorial you provided in your post. I think I'll need it. Like a lot of people, I'm kind of lost and pretty overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information, which, hopefully, should be explained in class. For something so basic, it seems pretty difficult to digest.

Good post.